Bursaries/Free College Meals
16 to 19 Bursary Fund 2020 – 2021 For Years 12 and 13
The Bursary Fund may be able to provide financial support to students aged 16 and less than 19 on 31 August 2020, in order to help them access education.
To be eligible for a Bursary you must meet the funding requirements of the Education and Skills Funding Agency (ESFA) for 2020 -2021 onwards in relation to being 'settled' in the UK and resident for 3 years. This should be confirmed when enrolling. The College administers Bursary on behalf of Government agencies and is obliged to adopt the ESFA guidance.
In order to be entitled to any funding from the 16-19 Bursary, students must meet a range of criteria.
Examples of the various types of criteria are listed below:
- Enhanced Bursary (for 16 to 18 year olds only) - Students who are Looked After Children (in care), care leavers or on a special Guardianship Order, those who are on Income Support or Universal Credit(UC) Payment in their own name, and those registered as disabled and in receipt of Employment Support Allowance or UC and Disability Living Allowance/Personal Independence Payment.
- Discretionary Bursary – Students from households with a gross annual income (inclusive of any benefits/tax credits) of less than £19,000 may be awarded a bursary, so students from households where the gross annual income is up to around this figure are welcome to apply. Students who fall near the threshold are advised to apply as we constantly review the bursary. We require as evidence your FULL up to date Tax Credits Statement or Universal Credit Statement from the DWP and all 2019 P60s or P45s where applicable confirming annual income and allocation of tax credits. If self-employed please also provide most recent SA302 or P800T. Please also complete the Self-Employment Declaration Form.
This bursary is open for all 16-19* year olds to apply for and is granted normally on household income; however, other exceptional circumstances will be considered at the discretion of the Bursary Manager.
*Students must be aged under 19 years on the 31st August in the academic year that they start the courses.
Before making your application it is important that you read the Bursary guidance notes which are available to view below, including the full eligibility criteria.
Eligible for up to £1200 per year subject to meeting college criteria for payment, e.g. attendance criteria. It will be possible for the college to use part of this fund to pay for trips, exam resits or other necessary college expenses.
The college will normally pay a weekly amount determined by the number of successful applicants and subject to students meeting college criteria, e.g. attendance criteria. Any payments will be paid in arrears every 4 – 6 weeks. The college may also substitute cash payments for other assistance with travel or lunch vouchers / payment in kind at the college’s discretion.
All bursaries are paid subject to meeting the bursary attendance criteria and the standards of behaviour expected by the college and set out in the Student Code of Conduct.
Free College Meals
To qualify for free meals students must be in receipt of, or have parents/ guardians who are in receipt of, one or more of the following benefits:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseekers Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit) and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190, as assessed by HMRC
- Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit with net monthly earnings not exceeding £616.67 according to the most recent statement
- Free School Meals in School
It is important that students make early applications for 16 – 19 Bursary funding, as there is a limited amount in the fund for 2020 - 2021. Once the funding has been used, the College will be unable to offer further financial support.
Year 13 students MUST re-apply for possible funding.
16 to 19 Bursary Fund Policy - Guidelines Booklet 2020-21
Bursary Contract 2020-21
Bursary Application Form 2020-21
Enhanced Bursary Application Form 2020-21
Care to Learn Guidelines 2020-21
Self Employment Declaration form 2020-21
There are no tuition fees chargeable to full-time students from within the European Union for those under 19 years of age on 1st September 2019. However, there is a payment of £50 from each new student, collected on enrolment, which supports the provision of enhanced ICT facilities.