Unlike some other sixth form colleges, we offer the opportunity to take any combination of 27 A level subjects
, and we organise our timetable accordingly so that there are no subject clashes. In addition, students can choose from 12 Level 3 Extended Diplomas
including BTEC and University of the Arts London courses. We also have Level 2
Our high quality of teaching, facilities and academic support help every student get the best grades possible, and succeed. In 2018, we continued to achieve record results
Ofsted rated ‘Good’
- 27 A levels with a 97% Pass Rate (100% in 22 subjects) - contrary to the national trend which saw A level results decline.
- BTEC & UAL Level 3 Extended Diploma pass rate of 96% with 71% of students achieving a Distinction* (equivalent of A* at A level) or Distinction grade (equivalent of A at A level). This was our highest ever number of distinction grades awarded.
Following a successful inspection in January 2018, SFX was judged to be a “Good Provider” by Ofsted:
- “Students are well behaved, tolerant and respectful of each other and their teachers”
- “Teachers are well qualified in their subject area and use their knowledge well to deepen their students’ understanding of the topics they teach”
- “Teachers give students very clear and detailed feedback on their work to enable them to understand what they need to do to improve”
- “Teachers support students well to develop their independent learning and research skills”
- “Students show very good attitudes to learning. They have high aspirations and work well together and independently”.
Our facilities are second to none, including our library, gym, sports grounds, music and media studios, chapel, and onsite Starbucks.
Student Enrichment plays an integral part in our student programme at SFX. Examples include:
Academic & Careers Support
- Speakers - we have a rich programme of visiting speakers (approximately one a week) across departments and topics. Recent speakers have included Lord Professor Robert Winston, Cephas Williams & Chuka Ummuna.
- Educational outings - these have included the Model United Nations conference in New York, a visit to the CERN partical accelorator in Switzerland and ane English Literature trip to Paris. Plus, we organise visits to university taster days and trips to theatre, museums & exhibitions.
- Sport – all students are encouraged to get involved in our sports programmes. This include use of our amazing sports facilities such as our fitness suite, sports hall and outdoor pitch; joining our many and varied sports clubs & teams such as football, basketball, netball, hula, trampolining, table tennis and box-fit; and participating in sports trips including ice-skating, rock climbing and Go-Ape.
- Clubs & Groups - we have ** number of clubs and groups, including our Student Union, with a student-elected President and Vice President representing the students’ needs and interests, and contributing to decision making as Student Governors.
- Young Enterprise - we support students in entering the national Young Enterprise competition, where they set up and run their own business for a year. Over the past * years we have consistently made it to the Central London finals.
Our teachers go above and beyond to ensure all of our students get the most of their education. Plus, our dedicated academic and careers support teams
help every student to reach their full potential, and achieve their desired next steps. We cover the full range of support needed, from those needing help to stay on track, to special support
for Oxbridge and Russell Group applicants, and those going on to study medicine.
“The teachers helped me to achieve the highest grade possible”
, Jannifer, former UAL Creative Media student (Distinction) now at University of Greenwich
“Teachers were hands on and incredibly supportive”
, Kike, former Eng Lit (B), History (B), Politics (A) student now at University of Kent
Progression to University
The proportion of our students who go on to study at university is higher than many other sixth form colleges. In 2018, 394 SFX students went on to study a wide variety of courses at university and higher education institutions across the country, with 123 securing their place in a UK top 50 university. View our full list of leavers destinations here
“SFX truly helped me to get into university
”, Joshua, former Sociology (B), Politics (B), History (C) student now training to be a lawyer
We take the physical and mental health of our students seriously, and offer a full range of services designed to help foster wellbeing at the college. We have an excellent pastoral care system
. Each student has a Personal Tutor to guide them alongside their subject teachers. We have a specialist welfare team; together with the Designated Safeguarding Officer, there is a College Counsellor and a Student Welfare Officer on hand to support students experiencing personal worries or concerns. We also have an Additional Learning Support
team who are there to help students with specialist learning needs, as well as any student who is struggling academically.
As a Catholic school we support and promote values such as kindness, inclusion and respect for everyone; and we pride ourselves on having a vibrant and supportive community. We welcome every one of any faith or none. For those who want to make use of them, we have an on-site Chapel and Muslim & Multi-Faith Prayer Room.